3.25.2007

Singleminded intervention

I went to an event last night, a celebration of an engagement.

By the end of the toasts you'd think that the new couple had been cured of some disgusting condition that can only be cured two people at a time.

I'm very happy for paired people. I've been one a number of times. But I've never treated un-paired people like being single was something to be fixed. But for some reason, that's how a lot of paired people treat singles.

I'm not bitter. Really. Just annoyed sometimes.

A woman's husband has been slipping in and out for a coma for several months yet she stayed by his bedside every single day. When he came to, he motioned for her to come nearer. As she sat by him, he said,
"You know what? You have been with me all through the bad times. When I got fired, you were there to support me. When my business fell, you were there. When I got shot, you were by my side. When we lost the house, you gave me support. When my health started failing, you were still by my side. When I think about it now, I think you bring me bad luck."

2 Comments:

Blogger lotta said...

The world's shortest fairy tale:
"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl, "Will you marry me?" The girl said "No" and she lived happily ever after and went shopping, drank martinis with friends, always had a clean house, never had to cook, had a closet full of shoes and handbags, stayed skinny, and was never farted on. The End"

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen, brothah. i'm with you on that.

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home