3.08.2007

more Cyclonic sucking

Ocker Jones writes:

C -
I'm stuck in a mining camp 100km NE of Newman, directly in the cyclone's path. We just had an emergency meeting where we are going to be confined to our rooms for the duration. Apparently a mining camp collapsed up near Hedland, with one fatality and twenty injuries, but the cyclone will have lost a lot of intensity before it gets here.(4 hours away)

And yes, I am meant to be flying home tonight. The airports are closed for a mandatory 48 hours due to the red alert. If you have a look at the storm tracking site, you'll see that there is another f*ckin cyclone tracking directly behind this one (the perfect storm!) I was denied permission to drive out, which pisses me off, as everyone always seems to over react to these things. I'm sure I would be well on the way to Perth.
So If the other one hits as well, we could be stuck here for weeks.

My response to him was that the gods invented Emu Bitter beer and Bundaberg Rum just for such occasions. Ocker promptly wrote back that there was a total ban on alcohol. Which is prudent. But stupid and boring. Myself having lived for months right where he is right now, I know stupid and boring.

(I lived in Wiluna, where the wind never ever ever stopped, and spent a bunch of time bouncing around Laverton and Leonora and Meeka and up to Newman. There was no real virtue in sobriety.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home