8.09.2006

Still Summer

I hate - hate I say - that 'back to school' ads begin in July. It's like Christmas advertising starting the day after Halloween. Advertisers reminding us of our mortality, stealing the days and weeks of our lives. Because, after all, we live in our perceptions of time. Not in the time itself.

It's not a very zen life, but we're, by and large, not buddhists.

It's been too busy for me this summer with new business and other stuff, and that's just fine. But I need to find that perfect summer moment. (Flying the float plane around Canada for five days wasn't bad, but I wasn't ready to make it the Perfect Summer Moment.)

We're looking at a few days of low-70s temperatures here in Seattle, and I sense people looking ahead to fall. Back to school sales. The LLBean fall catalog came - what? - three weeks ago? Knock it off. We've got two months of great weather yet. Listen to me. Stop looking at your watch.

I'm not done with summer yet, dammit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true! Do you remember when we were kids? We avoided thinking about fall like the plague. We enjoyed every single second of summer - absorbing all that it offered well into the night. Being an adult sucks!

11:08 AM  
Blogger JimBo said...

Back to school sucks even more when you have to pay for the torture. It's enough to have to endure it, or as in my case, blow off all the homework.

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home