1.15.2007

Outta the Valley

A bliss weekend in Solvang, CA, with Dick and June. Great old friends of the family. Gail and Leslie flew down, and we had a fine reunion.

I got there a day early and stayed a day late. I couldn't get enough of Dick and June and Paco the 115 pound labrador, and, of course, Jake and Manon the grandchildren. Just a nice visit.

I flew out today. The unbelievable cold snap holds down here, though it will be shaken off here in the next couple of days. I was going to go on to Tucson, but who wants Tucson in January at 42 degrees? I wanted 70 dammit.

So I've landed at Palm Springs and commandeered a friend's condo at the Tennis Club, and their car. Some wicked turbulence leaving the Santa Ynez valley (which I smartly turned out of and diverted an extra 20 minutes to be clear of). Going into PS from the west - Riverside - aircraft were reporting moderate to severe turbulence. Severe is defined with terms like "momentary losses of control of aircraft" and "loose objects in cabin become projectile". So I went north to 29 Palms, with the intention of landing there if there was no good way into the Coachella Valley. I talked to PS approach control who said there were few reports of turbulence in my area, and dropped into the valley over Joshua Tree, experiencing a few good jolts, but nothing like the west side.

I have bourbon in my glass, the heat is on, and I'm blogging in my shorts in Palm Springs. I cannot describe my joy of life sometimes.




















Richard has lived in the Valley his entire 70 years, and he's never heard of icicles anywhere. I took this picture up at Nojoqui Falls out beyond Alisal Ranch. Three foot icicles hanging from the moss.











Paco knows where the food emerges every day. He sleeps near it just in case the food arrives unexpectedly.















Out to Santa Barbara and the Santa Catalina Islands beyond. San Marcos pass winds through the mesquite. The turbulence shook me from my reverie about three minutes later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home