9.30.2005

Getting a prescription...

So I called my doctor's office this morning asking for a prescription for Tamiflu. What ensued will probably be typical for most people.

Right off the bat (once the assistant called me back at about 2), it was, "you need to get a flu shot. That's what you need."

This is when I knew I had to lie. Saying, "I'm afraid avian flu is going to kill me in my safe, lily white home in West Seattle" didn't sound convincing, even before it came out of my mouth. So I said, "I'm going to be traveling in Asia - frequently." She said she'd talk to the doctor.

She called back in an hour. "You need a flu shot. Come in and get one."

"No, what I need is Tamiflu. It's the only thing that's being suggested as a hope for avian." She said she'd talk to the doctor.

She called back later. She was terse in the first call, and bitchy by now. "You need to come in and get a flu shot. Tamiflu isn't for Avian. And you're not going to get avian. It's very rare. And where on earth did you hear Tamiflu was for avian?! "

"CDC."

"What's that? Some web site?" Clearly sick of patients who actually look stuff up.

"No. Centers for Disease Control. Atlanta. They're recommending to the State Department that anyone going to Asia stock up on Tamiflu."

"Oh...that CDC." Pause. "Well, you need to come in and get a flu shot."

"Lisa. I called my pharmacy here in West Seattle. They have a few courses of Tamiflu. I want some of them. Please ask Dr. Stevens." She said something abrupt and hung up.

Half an hour later she called back. "Your pharmacy has a scrip for you. But you definitely need to come get a flu shot before you go to Asia."

And that's a promise I can keep. Because I won't be going to Asia any time soon. And hopefully avian flu won't be coming here. Ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home